Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Tracking your Fuel consumption



Some time ago, I was looking around for a program that might keep better track of my gas mileage than the random pile of pay-at-the-pump receipts I'd been using. It didn't take long to come across a free online service that did everything I was after and more. Fuelly is a very simple system to use, simply create a login, build a "garage" of vehicles you wish to keep track of., and then log your fill-ups.

The Website is here: Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG

Logging a fill up can be done either with a trip meter reset at every fill, or by simply recording the odometer, however the system only works properly when you completely fill your tank. So obviously little $20 tank additions aren't going to work for you unless you keep a really detailed log.

Since I have 3 vehicles which are not known to be real fuel misers I decided it might be fun to keep an eye on what I can get out of them. That, and I like being a counterpoint to all the eco-friendly nonsense those sort of sites seem to attract. I quite enjoy disrupting the tickerbar:

So-and-So just got 56.7 MPG from their Prius

SomeOtherPerson just got 43.6 MPG from their Boring Honda

Darren5.0L just got 11.2 MPG from his SVT Lightning!

LOL

Somewhat surprisingly, owners of brands that are usually thought to be quite fuel efficient often report crappy (<20 MPG) mileage especially if it isn't a junker econobox model.
 
So maybe give fuelly a whirl and see what your vehicle can actually get for mileage under real driving conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are Encouraged!